Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vintage Jewelry Repairs

I looked at my grandmother's wedding ring yesterday. My grandparents were married in 1940, so this ring is really art deco! My grandmother gave me her jewelry box about a year before she died, and the ring was in there. She said that she quit wearing it because it caught on an oven door and it broke. I wasn't always interested in that style of jewelry, so only recently I have decided to try to fix the ring. But, it is quite badly damaged, and I don't want to do more harm. I also don't trust any local jewelers to do this.

Photos to come!

3 comments:

  1. I found a ring from my mom's childhood home but I don't know to whom it belongs. It was just in a drawer with pencils and papers. It's some sort of metal (steel perhaps. not silver). In the back there is a engraving 1940. There is also swastika which reminds of Nazi sign but there is some sort of flower figure in the middle. It could also be a sign of organization called Lotta Svärd which was national defence organisation for woman during the World War II. And their sign reminded pretty much of Nazi's swastika. http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta_Sv%C3%A4rd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see photos of this ring, I love vintage jewelry. @_@
    Instead of repairing it, you could try and have it re-created? It is expensive, but there are people who have those kinds of skills. In fact, Kendall has a cool Jewelry program and my friend has had some jewelry recreated by some of the jewelry majors at Kendall and it is beautiful.
    Good luck with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jewelry re-creation sounds very interesting, but I could never afford it! I should have pictures of the ring up soon; I took some but I have to download them from my camera still. :)

    ReplyDelete