Saturday, July 16, 2011

Perfume Folly

So, I finally got to try Opium eau de parfum.  What a green thing I am, when it comes to perfume concentrations.  Why was I so silly to think that a higher concentration would mean a stronger version of the same scent?

I'm going to explain so that no one else makes the same mistake I did.  Being a perfume novice is not bad--but you don't want to spend $60 on something that disappoints.

Eau de parfum is a stronger fragrance than eau de toilette, but not only that--it is a completely different fragrance, at least to my nose.  And not the kind of different that I like.

 
Opium eau de parfum, when first sprayed, is rather heavenly.  One can smell the citrus notes and the spicy florals.  But dry-down is disappointing, to say the least.  What happened to the amber and vanilla notes that make Opium an oriental fragrance?  The dry down just smelled like...Soap.  I guess I should have listened to my intuition, as I didn't like the bottle much.  Looks like a stick of liquorice is stuck in it.

Today I'm going to try to get the eau de toilette.  While not as strong as I may like, it actually smells like the Opium I adore, with an addictively sweet dry-down of vanilla and tantalizing amber, and a hint of spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment